I figured whilst this was not a difficult make, I definitely learnt a few things that are worth sharing … so please do bear with!
My husband (@robingoodladphotgraphy) is a wedding photographer (as well as lifestyle, food and dogs) and has occasion more than most to wear a smart suit. When we got married back in 2013, I suggested (very subtly!) that he might wear a Liberty tie in Ros to match the bridesmaids and some of the other details of our country wedding … and it looked fab (in my very humble opinion). However at that time, I did not have a sewing machine and did not make this tie; it was a fabulous (and ridiculously cheap in hindsight) local dressmaker.
So, fast-forward 4 and a bit years, and he asked me if I could make a tie for a new suit that he’d bought, as apparently TM Lewin were charging about £45 for a suitable Liberty tie, so it was obviously worth seeing if I could could make a replica. He ordered 0.8m of beautiful Phoebe Liberty tana lawn from Ebay and I started to get a wee bit nervous, as I couldn’t help but remember the final of Series 2 of The Sewing Bee, where poor Chinelo Bally struggled to follow the pattern instructions. Whilst there are a number of free patterns out there, I felt I needed a good one and went to Instagram to ask for advice and the Sew Over It tie pattern was recommended … however @_mysewingdiary (Jennifer) advised to check the length, as her husband felt it was a little short and @timetosew (Kate) warned me to check the width of my husbands other ties and compare … VERY SAGE ADVICE! DO TAKE NOTE IF YOU ARE MAKING THIS TIE!
I paid the whole £5 for the pattern download (foolishly thinking it would be a small one but was still 16 pieces?!) and then looked at the width of the tie. It looked quite wide, I thought, it’ll be ok, I thought. My husband is also on the shorter side, so I figured I didn’t have to worry about length too much. I also neglected to read the pattern instructions to the end … I never do this … it’s something to do with the way my brain works, I can only do 1 picture at a time! If I HAD read the instructions, I would’ve found out the following key point:
THE DOMETTE (which is the lining bit – I used curtain interlining) IS BASICALLY THE WIDTH OF THE TIE.
Secondly, ties come in loads of different widths and lengths and due to all the fancy knots (that I have b****r all idea about), a shorter man might well wear a longer tie! So my second key learning point is:
CHECK THE LENGTH OF A FAVOURITE TIE AND MAKE THAT (This is what Jennifer said!)
Apart from that the construction was very, very straightforward (not to mention speedy) and actually, it doesn’t matter that the tie is slightly on the shorter or narrower side (for my husband anyway) as he wears a waistcoat! Phew! On the definite plus side, it looks great and the curtain interlining (aka domette) gives it a lovely weight. So, he’s all ready for wedding season 2018 now and I’m more than happy to make more Liberty ties, as the scraps will make some fabulous pocket linings, facings, toddler bloomers or even knickers!
(Not too narrow, but on the narrow side!)