A Berlin Jacket

The school that I’ve been working in for the last year is often quite chilly, not helped by the fact that I don’t get warm by leaping around teaching whole classes anymore … and maybe because I feel the cold (a lot)! A colleague was wearing a lovely coatigan a few weeks ago that I admired and she told me that I needed to get myself to M&S, as they had a lovely selection. And indeed, they do. I’m still really tempted by this blush pink one … 

Over the half-term holiday, I had an exceptionally rare child-free day and indulged in a bit of carefree browsing in the shops. (The joy of not panic buying with a toddler in tow!) I had fun trying on lots of things and loved this jacket in Zara



but couldn’t really afford the £100 price tag and had this nagging feeling that I should be making my own … but still needing something to keep me warm at work!

Spurred on by all the Cosy Cardis that I’d seen on the Instagram challenge, I looked around and decided on the Tessuti patterns Berlin Jacket. All the makes online just looked so smart and I really liked the idea of not having a lining to contend with for my first jacket make. The edges are raw so you also need to find a fabric that doesn’t fray – boiled wool seemed the best option, as I was looking for a warm jacket. But they don’t come very cheap – especially when you have a particular colour in mind. After an awful lot of dithering I ordered some from Dragonfly Fabrics when they had a 15% discount code a few weeks ago. It was pricey but I don’t regret it as the quality is absolutely superb, it’s SO warm and was still more than half the price of the Zara jacket.

I was a good girl (for once) and knew I had to make a toile with the cost of the fabric. I’m glad I did because I ended up sizing down (had a fear of it looking like a dressing gown!) and taking a good 3 inches off the length (I am 5ft4 though). It sewed up so quickly and easily – the cutting out was the most nerve wracking part and I got my rotary cutter and ruler out for that. So here it is …

It was a bit odd sewing wrong sides together at first but even when I didn’t manage to get the seams totally even (the raw edges show) … I trimmed a little fabric away. Too easy!


It’s going to be perfect for layering up at work … and I’ve already worn it lots. So the hunt is now on for a blush pink boiled wool! I definitely recommend this pattern – really well drafted and clear instructions.